Our visit to the stone cottage

Yesterday on a beautiful sunny day my classmates and I walked across the road to the Panmure stone cottage. We were welcomed by Terry and Patrick.Patrick was the historian of the stone cottage. Before we went inside they told us we are not allowed to touch anything in the stone cottage and look with only our eyes because they’re all fragile.

The first thing that caught my attention were the stilts. Stilts are wooden poles with a foot support for a person to stand on and walk. I have never walked on stilts before but I think they must be hard to balance on. One day I might try.

When we went to explore upstairs Patrick told us that there were clothes that were donated by people from the past. 

There were trousers and pantaloons and bloomers.The ladies in the olden days used to knit their own clothes and did house chores  from dawn to dusk. Their work was very difficult but they didn’t give up for their family.

In the kitchen Terry showed us what a bellow was for. A bellow was used to make the fire go. There was this special cup that men use for their mustache so they don’t get wet when they drink tea. In the kitchen there were also these sticks that men use to walk and whenever their legs hurt there is a switch when they hold the stick and they can just sit on it.

The one thing that surprised me was the sewing machine that they make for their clothes. The only way to make it work is to use their feet.

The Stone Cottage was very interesting to visit and all I can say is I am pleased we have electricity in our house.